It's time to "fall" into our school year routines, and with it, register your children for faith formation classes! As you know from earlier posts on this blog, St. Joan of Arc Parish is implementing a new Sunday School program for our little ones--The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS).
CGS is an authentic Catholic faith formation program developed in Rome by a Catholic Biblical Scholar. It emphasizes hands-on, child-directed learning and Montessori methods to help each child develop a deeply personal relationship with Jesus. Children use a variety of specially handmade materials to help them grow in their understanding of God.
Some of the things children will learn during the sessions include:
- - Biblical geography using 3-D maps, puzzles and dioramas of the Holy Land
- The significance of the colors worn by the priest at Mass
- The seasons and holidays of the church year
- The names of various items used by the priest on the altar at Mass
- The gestures used at Mass by the people and the priest
- Key times in Jesus’ life using dioramas and wooden figures
Here at St. Joan of Arc, we will be offering the program to 3-6 year old children during the 9:30 a.m. Mass on Sundays beginning September 13. The tuition is $50 per child; $25 for each additional child from the same family.
To find out more about the program and to download registration forms, visit our Facebook Groups page at Facebook.com/groups/SeekingtheShepherd You can also email Cheryl Basile, the program director/head catechist: caswrite at aol.com